Sunday, June 18, 2006

eVeryThinG thAt feELs gOOd mUst bE sinFuL

A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time
-Alfred E. Wiggam
dear jess,

Wearing my slippers every week will be my act of silence defiance. I told this to the boy who currently just started working in that oh so famous top five and now matches the pastel colour of his tie to his cuff pins that probably cost hundreds.

It’s a really cute tie pin.

The boys were told to come dressed ‘properly’ no jeans, no slippers. The women? Well for their sakes they were fortunate to not have put leash on me as I walked into the cold place filled with young people in my jeans, flip flops and a baby tee.

Its simply hilarious to me, once again that Asians living at the khatulistiwa who would’ve been dressed in office attire the whole day are required to come to bible study in those same clothes. If I was a male I’d come dressed in the most down to earth thing, perhaps minus the flip flops.

This is my problem with people in my faith. We are wound up so tight that when I was walking into that church I could’ve been walking into a funeral, my tie pin friend taught he was walking into a school.

Just before going, I started to think that studying the bible was starting to look fun, of course me and mr. tie pin couldn’t stop laughing at the high strungness of the whole thing.

So there I was, feeling fortunate that I had a friend next to me who was unlike the rest. My sarcastic brains started to scan the crowd of boys with thick glasses, pants as high up as their neck, and women who looked silent and sweet…

Like I said I was sarcastic.

So. If I ever start a bible study id probably ask people to wear their party clothes and come to celebrate the fact that we believe in a religion that’s suppose to be joyous and it would really be nice to see more ‘uncouth Christians’- those that don’t shun away from fun, slightly non geeky pants and talking loudly because sitting on the pew has hurt their bottoms.

Am I going back this week? Heck yes who else is going to make fun of structures, organisations, and other people's dressing?
Of course after one or two weeks who knows what will happen to me. hopefully ill still be wearing my pants at the same level.

And I wont compromise my slippers. Or so I think…

yours,
jess

5 comments:

cheryl said...

hey..u goin for wat i think ur goin for? have fun..didn't know there was a dress code? think it's coz they all comin after work dat's why. I enjoy my time at it, but mine's not wif young workin adults. mine's wif old retired women. so we dun come in ties n suits ;) i'm enjoyin mine...enjoy urs too!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...go girl. i was thinking along the same lines as well... so strict la. btw, in case they didn't bring this up in the intro session... attendance is taken as well.. :PPPP

-cheryl

imissw said...

hhmmm... 2 cheryls?

glad u r going for it, jess! me used to get a lil irked too by the strict rules they place on all. but as i went for more, the sessions were so good that all these side issues din really matter much!

so hang in there! and enjoy! :-)

cheryl said...

Sigh...cheryl's such a common name, although i love my name to bits and can't think of any other name i'd rather be called!

yeah jess...i've had fun d one month or so i've been there. now on one month break, kinda lookin forward to startin again! urs should be more fun than mine ... at least it's ppl ur age, tie or not. And don't go missin 3 weeks berturut-turut! ;)

jess said...

yeah last week i had my group and they all (ALL) came in skirts and formal shirts, except me and my slippers, which conveniently hid under the chair AND i was the only name that the card disappeared.. i wasnt there technically.. hehe strange. yeah i know the materials quite good *shucks* gotta do homework.