Thursday, July 21, 2005

whiCh S fiTs yoU??

dear jess,


sigh. it always starts with a sigh doesnt it? the problem with racial stereotyping is that sometimes, maybe alot of times, it actually is true. You see, we can't whine about how psychologist have stereotypeed us, in our multiracial country if we actually act up to those stereotypes.

i was walking out from cultural center, UM when i see stereotype (S) number1 orientating 3 girls. Now, they werent speaking my language so how do i know its orientation? They were wearing formal traditional clothes in the heat of the day (some races have a 1 mth orientation and theyre required to wear formal clothes) and the girls looked freaked, faces down with the jerk on his bike talking to them.

So this is me, feeling sickish longing for my bed and thinking what would be the right thing to do? My car was next to me so i could just get in drive off, after all the girls will survive, everyone does. My inclination to do something grows, and i consider discussing it with fellow passerby's but S2 walks by not even noticing that anything has happened whilst S3 was probably to busy going to the library.
I pluck up whatever courage i have and prayed i wont die today, and made my move. I went up to the S, asked him if he was orientating the girls and you know what he says? he says it looks like im orientating them. Ok, note to self, we are now speaking to an idiot. So i go on, asking him for his name cos if he was orientating them id report him (this could mean being expelled) which of course he then lets the girls off and of course, mr im so brave i bully 3 girls, doesnt give me his name and matric no.

I then quickly make my escape, i can hear the jerk behind me calling me to which i ignore, he then turns around the building and catches me on the other side, but i think he caught sight of the security and he disappears. I spoke to the security and he nicely walks me to my car- well not quite, but at least he knows theres a jerk on campus.

See the problem was i came home angry and scared ( i am still a wuss u know) at S number 1 for their 'people' have been grazing other juniors for years, the stupidity of talking down to people, of telling juniors that they need to adhere to a bunch of stupid seniors is just plain stone age idiocy!! it still makes me angry with rage.

BUTT, wha about all the other asses? the you's and me's who just go, ah lets not bother? lets not get involved because 'it isnt my business'?? isnt that just as much US orientating these three girls as much as that jerk? we let it happen!

There's a real life story of a murder that happened in a busy street in US, behind a full apartment, and when this person was murdered, everyone was at their windows- looking. According to psychologists, the more people there are around a scene of a crime, the more unlikely it is you'll get help.

So guess what? Dont blame the next person who stereotypes you for a race you were born to be, and didnt dare change. Remember that guy who helped to stop someone in a car accident a few days ago, and in turn he himself died? I bet most of you went something along the lines of 'he shouldve just minded his own business' or something that adheres him to not doing anything?
My self experimentation came through, when i came home and told some people, their immediate reaction was 'why you so busybody' or something along that lines.

So doing the 'right thing' never feels good, and the only body im suppose to mind apparently is mine. Another 100 reasons to be cynical.
In the meanwhile i was totally freaked, and i hope he doesnt recognise me, after all what if he kills me? Its a big thing you know, deflating a third year students ego in front of 3 first year girls. Looking at the typical behaviour of the S1's, i think ill be in hiding for a while....

We all live in the protection of certain cowardices which we call our principles.
-Mark Twain


yours,
jess

1 comment:

sooaun said...

hey Jess,
1. it's never easy doing the right thing.
2. more often than not, the longer you think about it, the more the chances is that you won't do it.
3. he won't kill you larrrr....