Monday, October 17, 2005

i search, therefore i travel..

dear jess,

this is the statement behind my beloved lonely planet that has been a loyal travel partner that i had to part with. I sold it for a really good price (pry as the thai's would pronounce) and on that day i almost teared. Really. Was trying to hide that fact from my bro who so brilliantly helped me sell it off...

Regardless, this letter wasnt meant to tell you about my lonely planet, but my discovery once again on how human beings are. This is what ive been doing since ive got back. Counting the amount of people who went "how's your trip" without me going hey i just got back from thailand. So far? two, okay maybe four.

Now what on earth could this reveal anything to me?

When I was in Thailand, how many strangers have asked me where ive been? So far? More than two. The funny thing about people is, that we are selfish. And we always make things about ourselves. Perhaps thats a reflection of who iam too.

You’ve been to pattaya? Oh well let me talk about half an hour about my experience in Pattaya…. You’ve taken pictures? Oh let me talk about the way I take beautiful pictures.

A good friend asked me whilst I was away what wonderful things ive discovered? And I told him too many, my journal pages were finishing, he told me to keep those to myself, and not reveal everything because there should always be an air of mystery to my discoveries in life. Well, I suppose I wont have to worry about that.

The funny thing is in the short span of time I was away, ive had so many thoughts and experiences, and I don’t mind keeping them confined to the memory space of just my heart… In fact im rather lazy to tell people how my 'trip' went, maybe because sometimes my jurnal understands me better, without criticizing or lecturing, and never telling me all the should have's and shouldnt have's..

However, ive seen the face of the demon of expectations not too long ago, and human behaviour in any form surprises me little and even better dissapoints me less.

Not many will know from now on what will possibly define a lot of things in my life. Its no wonder why people leave..

Yours not looking back,
jess

6 comments:

imissw said...

hhmm... mabbe my previous BSF teacher is thai! he always says "Jesus Cry"!

err.... u have a brother???

i din have the heart to sell off my lonely planet guide even tho it'll prolly rot at home. been thru too much wif her (yeah, it's a her, not an it!).

i'll prolly get a better price if i sell it since it has updates and other additional info (and stains from food that i ate - scratch and sniff???).

you can e-mail me (or "us") about all the juicy details if u r not gonna blog bout it! hahaha.

so where to next?

jess said...

i know what you mean! i wanted to keep it, but i guess since i cried it was ok.. even tho the guy paid me alot for it, it was PAINFUL!!! i didnt wanna keep it cos i need the dough for hopefully my next trip.. sigghhhh oh and perhaps its going to be PHILLIPINES!!! hehe perhaps.. darn now u got me thinking about my LP! thanks. page 120, page 118... page..
dont worry for you guys anything ;) well almost.

sooaun said...

hey, i would have given you my shoulder if i knew you were tearing...

jess said...

haha shy mah... anyways peter moore says that we shouldnt be to reliant on our guidebooks, hehe.. perhaps theres some truth in it

Anonymous said...

Babes....I look at your pictures, and your entries, and I think:

This is life. It's not about travelling, not about transplanting yourself, not about working, seeing other cultures, making friends, falling in love.

It's about doing what makes you THIS happy. You're inspiring!

jess said...

haha u sweet lil thang..