Friday, February 24, 2006

iN pReParAtiOn Of mE

dear jess,

yesterday I met an interesting “boy” who’s backpacked across Europe for 8 & a half months and china for a year! Ironically he’s a sarawakian like my travel guru who originally inspired me to travel for good and even more so, when I asked him which is his favourite western European country? He says, Spain and nicely adds, you’ll love it “siesta and fiesta”!

the boy I dunno, knows me.

its weird. I think, at the risk of sounding like an idiot I’ve found a fellow bohemian cum traveler cum psychopath who. Once again at the risk of sounding like an idiot, i could tell from just looking in his eyes that he is waiting and wanting. Waiting for that moment when he decides to leave again, or to change his life drastically.

silent Desperation. The term made famous by our lovely neighbours at desperate housewives.

lives of those that will not be succumbed to security and constant income. The lives of those that will not allow the high paying cheque guarantee the trip for weeks to New York and come back to a continuous flow of pay cheque’s, double degree’s, white shirt and tie’s, or the nagging of family that they are doing the right thing.

the lives of those who travel and not tour. The ones that come back with more than just stories of tour guides and cabbies on what the locals were like. The ones that left the accountant job to go travel.

and so. Apparently just looking into the eyes of a finance graduate accountant who left his job in the US of A to travel for that period of time can tell me that my silent desperation is nothing but silent.

it’s inflamed, angry and waiting to come out. But no. I will wait. For that will be the essence of my passion that will bring much fulfillment. I will wait for when the west winds flies past me and takes me away. For I’m not one that will allow myself to be in a high paying job and let that piece of paper forget what my eyes so strongly tells me.

my desperation will always be shadowed by my fear, that one day, someone will look into my eyes and convince me that I should be in that job and that I shouldn’t upset my parents by my youthful idiocy.

that one day I will be overcome by the paper.

but for now somebody else’s silent desperation helps me to remain that bohemian cum traveler cum psychopath wannabe idiot I’d like to think I was born to be.

once a dreamer, always a dreamer,
jess


No comments: