Thursday, February 16, 2006

iNcOGniTo

dear jess,

My favourite moments swinging on the hammock and talking about dogs that we think are evil to mutual friends. Friendship is a funny thing. It’s a marriage without the sex.

Swing right.

She tells me that someone says I’ve changed.

Swing left.

I laugh thinking back, just in case I have without realizing it.

Swing right.

Apparently I’ve become more sarcastic.

Swing left.

Laugh in the midst of swinging.

Swing right.

Feeling rather giddy now.. maybe I should stop swinging.

That’s when it hits me. The balcony that stops my swing. And.. me.

We only know the people we know, because that is exactly how we want to know them as. Let me repeat. We make our friends become who we want them to be and not who they really are.

We hide the fact that we are party animals in front of the friend that would judge us for it, we become less sarcastic to people who hate us for it. We become lesser of ourselves, sometimes to people we are closest to.

And then, when we finally meet someone who lets us be ourselves; our friends say we’ve changed. In actuality, we are just revealing who we really are.

The legacy of hypocrisy brings itself to another level.

The real me?
jess

No comments: